fall leaves

Monday, September 15, 2008

Menu Plan Monday


This week it is just the Children and I . But I am trying to not have it be SO different . I am really bad about totally slacking on cooking if DH is away . My intension is to do well this week , lol , we'll see huh? Gas prices are OUTRAGEOUS here because of the storm "Ike" , personally I think it is mostly hype . Thursday I filled up for $3.44 (with card discount at Ingles) and Friday is shot to $3.99 and is now $4.19 ....some places are even quite a bit higher than that . SO ... I am going to try to live mostly out of the pantry and freezer this week . I may need to stop at the store for fruit and salad . And I will incorperate it into taking DD to work so as not to waste a trip out .


Monday - Flank steak in the crock-pot similar to a roast with veggies (potatoes , carrots,celery,onion and maybe a handful of frozen green beans)


Tuesday - Breakfast for dinner french toast casserole and fried spam or bologna

(prayer meeting at church , so we will be eating late)


Wednesday - Smoked sausage , mac & cheese and garden fresh crowder peas


Thursday - Roast Beef sandwiches (made on bread machine bread) , and carrot and celery sticks and canned pineapple


Friday - Steaks , loaded mashed potatoes , limas and honey-oat bread from the bread machine


Saturday - lentil soup and grilled cheese


Sunday - Crock=pot Chicken & Rice with Ceaser salad


Lentil Soup

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method-------- ------------ -------------------------------- 1 cup Red lentils

1 cup Brown lentils

6 cups Water

3 No MSG boullion

1/2 small Onion -- diced

1 Carrot -- diced 1

Rib celery -- diced

1/8 teaspoon Celery seed

3 tablespoons Instant Potatoe flakes*

1 large Potato -- diced

2 tablespoons Olive oil

2 Bay leaves

2 teaspoons Red wine vinegar (Optional)

mix all ingredients except the vinegar in a soup pot and cook until the lentils are very soft, about one hour. Stir in vinegar at the end, and serve. NOTE: Brought soup to boil, turned down and simmered uncovered 45 min. *If thinner soup is desired, omit potato flakes, or use lesser amount.

Used 3 quart sauce pan.

Ummmm....one of the few meatless things my DH likes




2 comments:

Brooke said...

its $4.99 in places here, and i'm hoping it'll go back down before i have to refill my tank, but its even more encouragement to pack my lunch every day and save gas and $$$!

Anonymous said...

You must have a pretty well stocked pantry. If I made meals from my pantry it would be a whole lot of beans. :)